제목 7번..천주교 신자분들, 메리놀회 (태의선 로마노신부님) 영문편지번역
작성자 방지거
이메일
홈페이지 IP 주소 175.198.225.30
조회수 1022 등록일 2016/12/23 (16:16)
People I Love : Number 7

THE CATHOLICS

A Maryknoll priest was waiting for me when I returned home that evening from a sick call which had taken me far into the hills. The Bishop has been trying to contact you all day.” He said.

“I’m sorry to tell you your Mother died suddenly yesterday,” He had to leave so as to get home to own mission before the curfew stopped road traffic. We both lived near the demilitarized zone which divides North and South Korea. Here the curfew was strictly enforced.

Margaret my catechist, not understanding English, looked at me anxiously. “Father John told me Mother died suddenly yesterday.” I told her. Then I was left alone … and felt alone.

“Oh, God, thank you for giving me such a wonderful Mother,” I prayed.

The next day I said Mass at 6 AM, and left early for a scheduled visit to an outstation chapel on a small offshore island. Before I left Margaret asked me. “Would it be all right if some of the Catholics said the Prayers for the Dead for your Mother this evening?” How could I refuse?

Catechist Francis Park accompanied me that day as we took a dusty bus to land’s end. From there we slogged over mud flats, exposed at low tide, to the offshore island of Chong Ra Do. I heard confessions, said Mass, examined the children and new converts in their knowledge of Christian doctrine. We arrived home about 7 P. M. I washed op and had supper. At 8 P. M. Margaret came. “Some Catholics have come to say the prayers for your Mother. Would you care to join them?” Of course. “There’ll be about 30 old ladies from the Anna Sodality.” I thought to myself. The old ladies of the Anna Sodality enjoyed chanting the Prayers for the Dead.

There was a burst of light as opened the side door of the Church and went in. Candied were burning on the altar and every light in the Church was on. There was perfect silence. This Church seated 600 people, but now people were standing in the aisles. Farmers,. tradespeople, factory workers, housewives, they had all come to mourn with me.

Someone began chanting the century old Korean Prayers for the Dead, and the crowd took it up. As the mournful chanting continued for the next two hours, from my place at a kneeler in the sanctuary I fought back my tears and thought, “How can one not love these people!”

I’m sure my Mother from her place in heaven appreciated the attention she was receiving.

제목 ; 내가 사랑하는 사람들

순서 7번 ; 천주교 신자분들

그날 저녁 저 멀리 있는 언덕에서 독한 감기가 걸려 집에 돌아 왔을 때 한 메리놀회 신부님이 저를 기다리고 있었습니다. “주교님께서 하루 종일 신부님을 찾으셨어요,” 라고 말해주었습니다. “어제 갑자기 신부님 어머님께서 돌아 가셨다는 소식을 전해 드리게 되어 유감입니다.” 그는  야간통행금지로 도로교통을 차단하기 전에, 그의 선교활동을 위해서 집으로 가야만 했습니다. 우리는 북과 남을 가르는 비무장지대 가까운 데에서 살았습니다. 여기에는 야간통행금지가 엄격히 시행되고 있었습니다.

문답교리교사 마가렛은 영어를 이해하지 못했었는데, 저를 걱정어린 눈으로 바라보았습니다. 제가 그녀에게 얘기했습니다. “존 신부님이 내 어머니께서 어제 갑자기 돌아가셨다고 나에게 말해 줬어요.” 그 다음에 저는 홀로 떠나야 했고 … 그리고 혼자임을 느꼈습니다. “오, 주님, 이토록 훌륭하신 어머님을 저에게 주시어 감사하나이다.” 저는 기도하였습니다.

그 다음날 오전6시에 미사를 바치고 나서, 바다앞쪽의 작은 섬에 있는 공소에 방문계획이 있어서 일찌감치 출발하게 되었습니다. 떠나기 전에 마가렛이 저에게 물었습니다. “ 오늘저녁 몇몇 신자가 어머님을 위해서 연도를 바치려고 하는데 괜찮으시겠어요 ?” 어찌 제가 거절을 할 수 있겠습니까 ?

문답교리교사 프란치스꼬는 그날, 땅의 끝까지 가는 먼지범벅이 된 버스를 타고 저와 동행하였습니다. 거기서부터 우리는 진흙평지를 지나면서 무거운 발걸음을 옮겼습니다. 바다앞쪽의 섬, 청라도 쪽으로 조수간만이 드러났습니다. 저는 고해성사를 주었고 미사를 드렸습니다. 어린이들에게 천주교 교리지식을 새롭게 바꾸도록 가르쳤습니다. 우리는 오후 7시쯤 집에 왔고 깨끗이 씻은 다음 저녁식사를 하였습니다. 오후 8시에 마가렛이 왔습니다. 몇몇 신자분 들이 신부님 어머님을 위해서 연도를 바치러 왔어요. 신부님 그분들과 함께 하시겠어요 ?” 물론이죠.  “안나회에서 오셨는데 30명쯤 됩니다.“ 저는 저 할머니들이 연도바치는 것을 즐겨 하신다는 생각이 들었습니다.

제가 성당의 옆 문을 열고 들어가자 빛이 폭발하고 있었습니다. 제대의 촛불들이 불 타 오르고 있었고 성당의 모든 불빛이 켜져 있었습니다.  완벽한 침묵이 흐르고 있었습니다. 600명의 신자들이 자리에 있었고, 또 그때 복도에도 서 있었습니다. 농사짓는 사람들, 공장 다니는 사람들, 아주머니들, 그분들 모두 저와 함께 애도하기 위해 모였습니다.

누군가가 돌아가신 분을 위해서, 아주 오래된 구 연도를 구성지게 부르기 시작했습니다.  그리고 신자들은 따라 불렀습니다. 그 애도의 성가는 두시간 동안 계속되었고 저는 제자리에서 제대 앞에서 무릎을 꿇은 한 사람을 보면서 눈물과 생각들을 뒤로 하려고 무진 애를 썼습니다. “그 어느 누가 이 사람들을 사랑하지 않을 수 있을까요 !”

저는 저의 어머님께서 천국의 그분 자리에서 그분이 맞이하고 계시는, 이 참석하신 분들께 감사해 하셨을 것이라고 확신합니다.

다음글 이전글 목록 새글 수정 답변 삭제