제목 5번..파트리치오, 메리놀회 (태의선 로마노신부님) 영문편자번역
작성자 방지거
이메일
홈페이지 IP 주소 36.38.69.75
조회수 941 등록일 2016/12/21 (19:39)
People I Love : Number 5

PATRICIO

“Are you marrying of your own free will?” It was a routine question on our pre-marriage questionnaire. “I’m marrying freely,” the girl replied. But something in her expression‎ made me pause. “Look, if you don’t want to marry this man, tell me now. Without telling anyone you don’t want to marry him, I’ll find an excuse to postpone your marriage for six months. That will give you time to solve any problem you have.” The girl looked at me. “I’ll be grateful if you could do that. I think my Aunt just wants to get rid of me.” This was a marriage arranged according to Korean custom by the boy’s grandparents and the girl’s maternal Aunt.

When the Catholic boy Patricio came, I asked him the girl’s name. As I expected, he didn’t know. It was common for Korean men not to know their fiancee’s name. This wasn’t as important as knowing her family connections. “What salary do you get?” I asked. “Not much.” He answered. “But we’ll live with my grandparents because my grandmother is too feeble now to do housework. And my grandparents are wealthy.” I knew the grand-parents to be very wealthy.” They owned soon-to-be-subdivided land around our Bu Pyeong Church. They were also fervent “Old Catholics” who obeyed the priest’s the every word.

I finished the boy’s questionnaire and called them all together. “Look. Patricio doesn’t even know this girl’s name and his salary is too small to support a family. This is December. You came back after Easter and I’ll marry them. Not before.”

There was a roar of protest which continued for several days as the grandparents, the boy, and the girl’s Aunt fume angrily. Arrangements were made for Patricio to move temporarily to a room at his place of work, and the girl moved in to take care of the grandparents. A month later she ran away.

Several yearts later, in another Parish, Patricio appeared in the Parish Office. With him was his beautiful young wife and two young sons. It was obvious they were a very happy family. He introduced me, and told me his grandparents had died some time before. He and his family had just moved into this Parish. As his wife and children left, Patricio lingered behind. “One thing I’ve often wanted to ask you, Father Tai. How did you know I didn’t want to marry that girl my grandparents picked for me in Bu Pyeong?”

I just looked wise. God has a way of protecting His own, I thought.

제목 ; 내가 사랑하는 사람들

순서 5번 ; PATRICIO (패트리치오)

당신은 본인의 자유의지로 결혼하시는 겁니까 ? 이 질문은 결혼 전 질문서에 늘 있는 내용이었습니다. 저는 자유롭게 결혼할 거예요.. 그 소녀가 대답했습니다. 그러나 그녀가 표현하는 중에 무엇인가가 저를 멈칫거리게 했습니다. 보세요. 만일 당신이 이남자와 결혼하길 위치 않으면, 지금 제게 말해 주세요. 아무에게도 당신이 그와 결혼하길 원하지 않는다고 말하지 않으면, 저는 미안하지만 6개월동안 당신의 결혼을 연기해야겠습니다. 그러면 당신은 당신이 갖고 있는 문제를 풀 수 있을 겁니다. 그녀는 저를 바라보았습니다. 저는 신부님께서 그렇게 해 주시면 고맙겠습니다. 저는 제 이모가 저를 내보내고 싶어 한다고 생각이 됩니다. 이 일은 한국의 관습에 따라 그 소년의 조부모와 그 소녀의 이모가 손을 쓴 결혼이었습니다.

가톨릭소년 Patricio가 왔습니다. 저는 그에게 그 소녀의 이름을 물어 보았습니다. 제가 예상했던 대로 그는 모르고 있었습니다. 한국의 남성들은 약혼녀의 이름을 모르는 것이 보통이었습니다. 이런 일은 그녀의 가족관계를 아는 것보다 중요하지 않았습니다. 봉급이 얼마나 되시죠 ? 라고 저는 물었습니다. 많지 않습니다. 그가 대답했습니다. 그렇지만 우리는 우리 조부모님과 살 겁니다 제 할머니가 지금 집안일을 하기에 너무 연약하십니다. 그리고 제 조부모님들은 부자입니다. 부평성당 근방의 땅도 곧 불하 받게 되어 있습니다. 그들은 또한 열렬한 구교신도 였는데 신부의 모든 말을 복종했던 사람들이었습니다.

저는 그 소년의 질문서를 끝마치고 그들 모두를 함께 오시라고 했습니다. 보세요. Patricio는 그녀의 이름도 모르고 그의 봉급은 가족을 돌보기에 너무 적습니다. 지금 12월입니다. 부활절이후에 다시 오세요 그러면 그들을 결혼시켜 주겠습니다. 그 전에는 안됩니다

그 조부모와 소년의 항의소리가 몇일 동안 계속되었고 그 소녀는 결혼시켜달라고 변호했습니다. 이 미친 외국놈들!  저는 그 소녀의 이모가 화를 잔뜩 내는 소리를 들었습니다. Patricio는 임시로 그의 작업장근처에 방 하나를 얻었고 그녀는 그 조부모를 돌보러 이사를 왔습니다. 한달 후에 그 소녀는 달아나 버렸습니다.

몇 년 뒤에, 다른 본당에서 Patricio는 본당사무실에 나타났습니다. 그와 함께 아름답고 젊은 부인과 두 아들들이 있었습니다. 그들은 정말 행복한 부부란 것이 눈에 띄었습니다. 그는 저를 소개했고 그들의 조부모가 얼마 전에 돌아가셨다고 말했습니다. 그와 그의 가족은 바로 이 본당으로 이사를 했다는 것입니다. 그의 아내와 아이들이 떠나자 그는 제 뒤;에서 우물쭈물하고 있었습니다. 신부님 제가 신부님께 한가지 여쭤 보고 싶은 게 있었는데요 제 조부모님이 저를 위해 부평에서 골랐던 그 소녀 말인데요. 제가 그 소녀와 결혼하기를 원치 않았다는 것을 어떻게 아셨죠 ?

제가 정말 분별력 있게 보였습니다. 제가 생각했던 것 같이, 주님께는 혼자의 힘으로 스스로를 보호할 수 있는 길이 있으십니다.

다음글 이전글 목록 새글 수정 답변 삭제