제목 38번..내 환자분들, 메리놀회 (태의선 로마노신부님) 영문편지번역
작성자 방지거
이메일
홈페이지 IP 주소 175.198.225.30
조회수 1439 등록일 2017/1/20 (23:15)
People I Love : Number 38

MY PATIENTS

(Incident of 1997)

“Never say ‘My parishioners’ or ‘My patients’. They’re God’s, not yours.” As often as I’ve heard these words spoken by Retreat Masters at priest’ retreats it still comes natural to me to think of the people to whom I minister as “MY people” or “MY patients” without subtracting from their being children of our Father in Heaven.

These are the suffering people whom I meet at the 1200 bed Sam Sung Medical Center in Seoul. One of our lay volunteers picks me up and drives me to the hospital. There I meet Sister Teresa Kim and several lay volunteers. At 9:30 the volunteers in teams of two begin visiting Catholic patients beginning on the 20th floor and working down. Sr Teresa and I follow. On each floor the team meets us at the elevator and briefs me as to which of yesterday’s patients have left the hospital, which have died overnight, who’s been newly admitted, who wants Holy Communion, who’s preparing for surgery and wants the Sacrament of the Sick. At each patient’s bedside the volunteers say prayers for the sick person, and prepare the table for Holy Communion and the Sacrament of the Sick. Before I meet the patient I know whether the patient is a Catholic in good standing. A catechumen preparing for baptism, or whether the patient is not a believer, but has a Catholic wife who asks us to give him a blessing.

My patients come in all shapes and sizes and ages. 84 year old Grandfather Peter is an “Old Catholic”, born of Catholic parents. He suffers in patience a cancer which bloats his face, squeezing shut his eyes. He prys open his eyelids to see me when I come in. I anointed him three months ago. He may die tonight so I anoint him again and give him a tiny piece of host in Communion. He can no longer speak with swollen lips, but locks his thanks. He has great faith and trust in God. His 81 year old wife, Maria, follows me out of the sick room with tears in her eyes. I spend some time grieving with her.

Jennifer and Thomas are brother and sister, 25 and 21, lying in the same room, both with shattered legs and ankles. To escape from a fire, they jumped from a 4th floor apartment. Both are cheerful. They’ve been in hospital two months, and look forward to a long period of therapy. Thomas always wants Communion. Jennifer takes Communion some days. Some days she’s “too tired”.

Veronica is a bright, vivacious 9 year old, a plumb, pleasant looking child. Her mother, a school teacher, asks a blessing for her. She will have surgery tomorrow to remove a cancerous tumor on her brain. I promise to say Mass for her in the morning.

Daniel is my 8 month old friend. A month ago he came down with “fulminant hepatitis.” Afraid he would die, his parent, 31 year old Michael and 30 year old Gemma, asked me to baptize her him before he had surgery. Doctors removed the infant’s liver and transplanted into his tiny body part of his father’s liver. A month after the operation Daniel is holding his own. But this is a poor family. To save Daniel’s life his parents agreed to pay 20% of the cost of surgery. Even though the hospital forgave 80% of the cost, this very poor family still had a $90,000 bill to pay. They lived in one room. They gave up this room to get back the deposit. Michael quit his job as electrician to get a small severance pay which they paid to the hospital. They were asking a “loan shark” for a high interest loan when Sister Teresa heard of their problem. She called a journalist at the Catholic Weekly who wrote of the family’s plight in the Catholic paper. Readers contributed $16,000 to pay Daniel’s bills and yesterday one of the big city papers carried a story about him. We hope more help will come. With help from my benefactors I gave Daniel $2,200. I think it’s a good investment!

A memo board in Intensive Care Unit has the date 1995 circled in red. Most ICU patients come and go rather quickly, but Francisco has been there almost 3 years! Encephalitis-caused brain damage keeps him motionless. All he moves are his eyeballs. A tube through the nose feeds him. A respirator keeps him breathing. I speak to him saying, “if you feel good today, Francisco, move your eyes to the right.” I told Sr Teresa about a Frenchman named Bauby dictated an inspiring book describing his feelings at being so utterly helpless. Sr Teresa found a Korean translation and reads some of the book every day to Francisco. It seems to cheer him up. He managed to move his lips ever so slightly one day to let me know he was smiling.

By 11:30 I’ve come down through hospice, oncology, and general surgery to the 13th floor. Now I say Mass for about 100 patients and their families. We eat lunch in the employees’ cafeteria. At 1 PM a new group of volunteers begins visiting the 12th floor. Sr Teresa and I first visit patients in the five ICU Units on 3rd floor, where our volunteers are not allowed to enter. The hospital gives me free access to all ICU’s and the Emergency Room.

In Infants’ ICU I scrub my hands and put on gown and mask. Today I’m baptizing 7 month old Michaella, who’s scheduled for brain surgery tomorrow. Her parents are mountain farmers from Kang Won Province, simple, good people, frightened and confused by this big city hospital. They have no friends in Seoul. After I baptize their baby. All innocent suffering is a mystery. The greatest mystery to me is why God allows innocent infants to suffer… those youngsters who look up and their head so trustingly when I ask, “Would you like me to say a prayer to Jesus to make you well soon?”

My first patient on 12th floor is Cecilia Kang. Five young women are visiting her, As I finish giving her Communion, one of the young women asks, “Aren’t you Father Tai who Pastor of Kyei San Parish? You baptized me in 1985.” It turned out I had baptized three of the young women. Witnessed the marriage of one, and hadn’t met them since. We had a great reunion. As I left, I heard a whisper; “He looks older than I remembered!”

By 3:30 I’ve covered the 12th to floors and seen about 60 patients. Finally, we walk through the Emergency Room where 150 patients lie on beds, packed closely together, Catholics recognize Sister’s habit and my clerical collar. They introduce themselves. Some come for emergency treatment, others use the Emergency Room to get into the hospital. Seoul hospitals have a month waiting list of patients trying to get in. Emergency patients are given priority.

At 4 PM a volunteer from a local Legion of Mary group takes me home, an hour drive through city traffic. I’m tired! As I take up my breviary to say an early evening prayer I recall the words of Cardinal Manning whose book on the Priesthood is a classic. “The Priest is Mediator between God and Man.” As I begin my prayer I think of the suffering people I met that day and for whom I promised to pray. I remind the Lord of His promise to hear the prayers of those who trust in Him. I thank Him for allowing me to serve these people, whom I love so much.

제목 ; 내가 사랑하는 사람들

순서 38번 ; 내 환자분들

( 1997년에 있었던 일 )

“결코 ‘나의 교구민들’이나 ‘나의 환자들’이라고 말하지 마세요. 그분들은 하느님의 것이지 그대들의 것이 아닙니다.” 가끔 저는 신부 은퇴식들에서 은퇴한 신부님들이 말씀하신 이 말을 들을 때마다, 하늘에 계시는 우리 아버지의 어린이들이 된 사실을 제외시키지 않고, 그 분들을 제가 “나의 사람들” 이나 “나의 환자들”로서 제가 섬기리라 생각하는 것이 여전히 저에게는 자연스럽게 느껴집니다.

이 분들은 1,200개 침대가 있는 서울의 삼성의료원에서 제가 만난, 괴로움을 겪는 분들입니다. 우리 평신도 자원 봉사자들 중에 한 분이 저를 픽업하여 병원까지 운전을 합니다. 거기서 저는 김 데레사 자매와 몇 명의 평신도 자원 봉사자들을 만납니다. 9시 30분에 두 팀의 자원 봉사자들은 20층에서 시작하여 가톨릭 환자들을 방문하기 시작하여 아래층 쪽으로 내려가며 일을 합니다. 데레사 자매와 저는 따라 가지요. 각 층에서 그 팀은 엘리베이터에서 저희를 만나고 저에게 간략하게 설명을 합니다. 어제의 환자들 중에 누가 퇴원을 했는지, 하룻밤사이에 누가 사망했는지, 누가 새로 입원하였는지, 누가 거룩한 영성체를 원하는지, 누가 외과 수술을 준비하면서 봉성체를 원하는지.  각개 환자의 침대 곁에서 자원 봉사자들은 환자를 위하여 기도를 바치고, 환자의 성찬식과 거룩한 성체를 봉헌할 테이블을 준비합니다. 제가 환자를 만나기 전에, 저는 그 환자가 가톨릭 세례를 받기 위해서 준비중인 세례지원자로 착한 모습으로 있는 가톨릭쪽인지, 그 환자가 신자는 아니지만 제가 그에게 축복을 한번 해 달라고 청하는 가톨릭 아내가 있는지를 압니다.

저의 환자들은 여러 모습과 체격과 연령으로 들어 옵니다. 84세의 베드로 할아버지는 가톨릭 부모님께 태어난 “구교신자” 이십니다. 그는 암의 고통을 견뎌내고 계신데, 그 암은 그의 얼굴을 부풀게 하고 그의 눈을 압착하여 뜨지 못하게 하고 있었습니다. 제가 들어 올 때, 그는 저를 보려고 그의 눈꺼풀을 열어 동정을 살피십니다. 저는 세달 전에 그에게 기름을 발라 깨끗이 해 드렸습니다. 그는 오늘 밤 숨지실 겁니다 그래서 저는 그에게 다시 기름을 바르고, 성체 안에 계신 주인님의 작은 평화를 그분에게 드립니다. 부어 오른 입술로 그는 더 이상 말을 하실 수 없습니다. 그렇지만 그분은 감사해 있는 것으로 보입니다. 그분은 훌륭한 신앙을 가지고 계시고 하느님을 믿으십니다. 그의 81세 되신 아내, 마리아, 는 그녀의 눈에 눈물을 가득히 하고 병실 밖으로 저를 따릅니다. 저는 이따금씩 그녀와 몹시 슬퍼하는 시간을 보냅니다.

제니퍼와 토마스는 오빠와 누이동생입니다, 25세와 21세이고, 같은 방에 누워 있는데, 둘은 다리와 발목이 부숴져 있습니다. 화재를 탈출하려고 그들은 4층 아파트에서 뛰어 내렸습니다. 둘 모두 마음이 밝습니다. 그들은 두 달 병원에 있었는데 오랜 기간동안의 치료를 기다리고 있습니다. 토마스는 항상 영성체를 원합니다. 제니퍼는 어떤 날들은 성체를 영하고 어떤 날은 그녀가 “너무 피로”합니다.

베로니카는 밝고 쾌활한 아홉 살의 자세가 곧고 호감이 가는 어린이입니다. 그녀의 엄마는, 학교 교사인데, 그녀에게 축복을 해 달라고 청합니다. 그녀는 내일 그녀의 뇌에 있는 암성의 종양을 제거하는 외과수술을 받습니다. 저는 아침에 그녀를 위하여 미사를 봉헌할 것을 약속합니다.

다니엘은 저의 8세 된 친구입니다. 한 달 전에 그는 “폭발할 것 같은 간장염”으로 들어 왔습니다. 그가 죽게 될지 겁납니다, 그의 부모는, 31세 마이클과 30세 젬마인데, 아이가 외과 수술을 받기 전에 그에게 세례를 줄 것을 청하였습니다. 의사들은 그 아이의 간을 제거하였고 아빠간의 일부를 그 작은 몸에 이식하였습니다. 그 일이 있은 지 한 달 후, 다니엘은  굴하지 않고 잘 견디고 있습니다. 그러나 이 가족은 가난합니다. 다니엘의 생명을 구하기 위하여 부모는 외과수술비의 이십 퍼센트를 지불할 것에 동의하였습니다. 병원이 비용의 팔십 퍼센트를 면제했는데도 불구하고 이 가난한 가족은 여전히 $90,000을 지불해야 합니다. 그들은 한 방에서 살았습니다. 그들은 이 방비용을 공탁금으로 돌리려고 포기하였습니다. 병원에 지불할 격리실비용을 구하기 위해 마이클은 그의 전기기사 직업을 그만 두었습니다. 그들은 “고리 대금업자”에게 높은 이자 돈을 달라고 하고 있었는데 그때에 데레사가 그들의 문제를 듣게 되었습니다. 그녀는 가톨릭 주간신문사의 한 신문기자에게 전화를 하였는데 그 기자는 그 가족의 처지를 가톨릭신문에 기고하였습니다. 독자들은 $16,000을 다니엘에게 청구되는 청구서비용으로 지불하도록 기증하였고 어제는 대 도시의 신문중의 하나가 그에 관계되는 기사를 실었습니다. 저희는 더 많은 도움의 손길이 올 것을 희망합니다. 제 후원자들로부터의 도움으로 저는 다니엘에게 $2,200을 전해 주었습니다. 저는 그것이 좋은 투자!라고 생각합니다.

ICU(집중치료실)의 메모게시판에 1995년 빨간 동그라미가 그려진 날짜들이 있습니다. 대부분의 ICU환자들은 오히려 빨리 들어 오고 빨리 나갑니다, 그러나 프란치스꼬는 거기서 거의 3년 있었습니다. 뇌염으로 뇌에 손상을 입어 그는 움직일 수가 없었습니다. 그가 움직일 수 있는 모든 것은 그의 안구였습니다. 코를 통과하는 튜브로 그에게 음식을 먹입니다. 산소 마스크는 그를 숨쉬게 합니다. 제가 그에게 말하기를, “만약 오늘 좋다고 느끼면, 프란치스꼬, 눈을 왼쪽으로 돌려요. 만약 그렇지 않으면 눈을 오른쪽으로 돌려요.” 저는 데레사 자매에게 부비(Bauby)라고 부르는 단지 한 눈만 움직이지만 한 눈만 움직여서 대화하는 것을 배운 한 프랑스사람에 관해서 얘기해 주었습니다.  3년 동안 그가 죽기 전에, 부비는 그가 전혀 무기력하게 느껴져도 그의 느낌을 묘사할 수 있는 원기를 북돋우는 책이라고 구술하였습니다. 데레사 자매는 한국어 번역본을 찾았고 그 책의 일부를 매일 프란치스꼬에게 읽어 줍니다. 그것은 그를 격려하는 것처럼 보입니다. 그는 그의 입술을 아주 조금만이라도 조종하려고 하였고 하루는 저에게 그가 웃고 있다는 것을 알려 주었습니다.

11시 반경 저는 호스피스실와 종양병실을 통과하여 13층 일반외과로 내려 옵니다. 지금 저는 약 100명의 환자들과 가족분들과 미사를 집전합니다. 저희는 직원들이 음식을 날라다 먹는 Cafeteria식당에서 점심식사를 합니다. 오후 한시에 새로 온 한 그룹의 자원 봉사자들이 12층을 방문하기 시작합니다. 데레사 자매와 저는 먼저 3층에 있는 ICU실에 있는 환자들을 방문하는데, 거기는 우리 자원 봉사자들이 들어가는 것이 허락되지 않습니다. 그 병원은 저에게 모든 ICU들과 응급실을 자유로이 접근하도록 해 줍니다.

유아ICU에서 저는 손을 문질러 닦고 가운을 입고 마스크를 씁니다. 오늘 저는 7개월된 마르셀리아에게 세례를 줄 것인데, 그녀는 내일 외과 뇌수술을 받을 계획입니다. 그녀의 부모는 강원도에서 온, 산에서 일하는 농부들이었고, 단순하고 착한 사람들이었는데, 이 대도시병원을 보고 흠칫 놀라고 어리둥절해 하였습니다. 제가 그분들 딸에게 세례를 주고난 뒤에, 저는 그분들이 아이에 대하여 희망하고 두려워해 하면서 표현하는 소리가 들립니다. 모든 무구한 사람들의 고통은 하나의 신비로움입니다. 저에게 가장 위대한 신비는 하느님께서 결백한 유아에게 고통을… 겪도록 허락 하셨는지 입니다. “ 내가 예수님께 네가 빨리 잘 낫도록 기도해고 되겠니?” 라고 제가 물어볼 때, 그 청소년들은 저를 올려 보고 그들의 머리를 그토록 신뢰를 하면서 끄덕입니다.

12층에 있는 저의 첫번째 환자는 강 세실리아 입니다. 다섯 명의 젊은 부인들이 그녀를 방문합니다. 제가 그녀에게 성체를 영하게 하고 떠나려 할 때, 그 젊은 부인들 중에 하나가 묻기를, “계산동 본당 신부님이셨던 태 신부님 아니세요? 신부님께서 저에게 1985년에 세례를 주셨어요.” 제가 그 젊은 부인들 중 세 명에게 세례를 주었던 것이 떠 올랐는데, 한 명에게는 혼배성사주례를 하였고 다른 사람의 세 아이들에게는 세례를 주었습니다. 저는 그 본당을 1987년에 떠났고 그 다음에 그들을 만나지 못했습니다. 우리는 하나의 멋진 재회를 하였습니다. 제가 떠나면서 저는 한 작은 소리로 말하는 것을 들었는데, “내가 기억하는 것보다 더 늙어 보이셔!”

3시 30분쯤 저는 12층에서 7층까지 책임을 맡는데, 대략 60명의 환자를 돌봅니다. 마지막으로 저희는 응급실을 통해서 걷는데, 거기에는 150명의 환자가 누워 있고, 서로들 아주 가까운 자리에서 붕대를 매고 있습니다. 가톨릭 신자분 들은 자매들의 습관적인 일을 알고 저의 성직자 칼라를 알아 봅니다. 그들은 그들 스스로를 소개합니다. 어떤 사람은 응급치료를 받으러 오고, 다른 사람들은 병원에 입원하기 위해 응급실을 사용합니다. 서울 병원들은 입원하려는 환자들의 월별 대기 리스트들을 갖고 있습니다. 응급 환자에게는 우선권이 주어 집니다.

오후 네 시에, 지방의 마리아 회 단체에서 온 한 자원 봉사자가 도심지 교통체증을 통과하여 한시간을 운전하여 저를 집에다 데려 줍니다. 저는 피로합니다! 제가 이른 아침기도를 바치려고 성무일도를 손에 들면서, 성직자에 관해 책에 쓰신, 추기경님의 용기를 돋우는 고전적인 말씀을 저는 상기합니다. “신부는 하느님과 인간의 중재자입니다.” 제가 기도를 시작하면서, 저는 그날 제가 만나서 기도해 주기로 약속한 고통 받는 사람들을 생각합니다. 저는 주님께서 그를 믿는 사람들의 기도를 들어 주신다는 약속을 상기시킵니다. 저는 그 분께 제가 이 사람들을 섬기도록 허락해 주셨음에 감사합니다. 제가 그토록 너무나도 사랑하는 이 사람들을

다음글 이전글 목록 새글 수정 답변 삭제